WJEC MUSIC GCSE
Unit 1: Performing Music (30%)
- Two contrasting performances. One solo and one as a member of an ensemble.
- Total performance time must not exceed ten minutes.
- One piece should connect with an Area of Study at Unit 3.
- Teacher assessed and externally moderated by a visiting moderator.
Unit 2: Composing Music(30%)
- Two contrasting compositions.
- Total playing time of both compositions should be at least 5 minutes.
- Each composition should be linked to a different Area of Study at Unit 3.
- Candidates to complete a composition log (Unit 2C).
- Teacher assessed and externally moderated in April / May
Unit 3: Appraising Music (40%)
- 1½ hour listening / written examination based on unprepared musical extracts under each of the Areas of Study and an evaluation of a performance/composition undertaken during the course.
- Assessed in May / June
Areas of Study:
1. Music in Wales 2. Music for Stage and Screen
3. Music Evolution 4. Musical Forms and Devices