Within Design and Technology pupils have the opportunity to experience a variety of subjects. The subjects which are offered are Food (KS3 & 4), Graphics (KS3 & 4), Textiles (KS3 & 4), Resistant Materials (KS3 & 4), Child Development (KS4 only).
At KS3 (Years 7, 8, 9) all pupils follow a modular course covering Food, Textiles, Graphics and Resistant Materials. These subjects are completed in rotation in each year group.
Designing and making play an important part in all the subject areas which allows pupils to gain valuable practical and life skills. The skills they learn at this key stage will be built on and developed at KS4.
Some of the products that are designed and made are:-
- Basic Cooking skills,
- Healthy Eating,
- designing and making:
- Designing and making a school planner cover,
- Making an eco friendly bag to use at the supermarket,
- designing and making a Teddy Bear for a special event.
- Designing and making a fridge magnet,
- Designing and making a DVD rack,
- Designing and making a decorative flower holder,
- looking at structures in bridge building.
- Basic drawing techniques,
- Packaging and point of sale displays.